Officer charged in Aiyana's death to go on trial in April


by: Detroit Free Press
published: 29th October 2011

A Detroit police officer accused of manslaughter in the shooting death of a 7-year-old girl last year is scheduled to go on trial in April.

Officer Joseph Weekley was indicted by a one-person grand jury earlier this month on charges of involuntary manslaughter and careless discharge of a firearm causing injury or death in the shooting of Aiyana Stanley-Jones during a raid on a Detroit home.

At a hearing Friday, Wayne County Circuit Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway said the trial is scheduled to begin April 30.

Also going on trial that day is Allison Howard, a principal photographer with “The First 48,” which was filming police the night of the raid. Howard, a Boston resident, was indicted on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. She is accused of lying under oath.

Robert Harrison, Howard’s attorney, said he filed a motion with Chief Judge Virgil C. Smith, seeking the grand jury transcripts and records. A motion hearing was set for 11th November 2011.

Read full article >

Advertisements